Air Source Heat Pumps: 300% More Efficient than a New Boiler
October 25, 2016
Renewable Heating, Air Conditioning Specialists, Energy Efficient Air Source Heat Pumps, Newcastle, London, Yorkshire, Birmingham
When the colder weather begins to appear, we think about keeping our homes warm and ourselves comfortable. We also want to do this as cheaply as possible, and as we all know fuel bills are one of the biggest outlays for any home-owner. There are alternatives to traditional gas and electric heating systems however which present not only a cost effective way to heat your home, but an environmentally friendly one also. Air source heat pumps have been steadily growing in popularity in the last few years, as people discover their many advantages.
Although powered by electricity, high quality air source heat pumps, will produce three units of useful heat for every one unit of electricity they use. This makes an air source heat pump, in some cases 300% more efficient, compared to a brand new boiler which is only 90% efficient. These heat pumps are the way to go for many, but especially if you don’t have access to mains gas, and they can meet all of your heating and hot water requirements.
Air source heat pumps tick a number of boxes including:-
- Enjoying lower fuel bills, which will be really noticeable if replacing conventional electric heating
- The UK government’s Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) which means potential income for ASHP owners
- A reduction in home carbon emissions, depending on which fuel you are replacing
- No need to order fuel delivery
- Heating for your home as well as your water
- An extremely low maintenance option
- Less hassle to install than ground source heat pumps.
The Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI) is a government scheme aimed at encouraging green energy production within the UK. With this scheme households using air source heat pump systems can receive a payment per unit of hot water produced. There is an initial outlay here due to installation costs, but these are recouped over a 7 year period. Well insulated homes will notice the most significant benefits from this technology.